Smoothies are a great way to start your morning for a few reasons:
1. When you wake up your body is dehydrated. Smoothies are a great way to hydrate yourself first thing. In addition to the liquid base you're using, fruits and veggie are filled with water.
2. All the ingredients are blended so your body doesn't have to work as hard or waste as much energy digesting.
3. With the right ingredients, they can be full of antioxidants, fiber, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. A lot of people have trouble losing weight because they're not getting enough micronutrients. Starting off with a nutrient dense smoothie ensures your body gets what it needs early.
4. It's easy and convenient to take on the go!
Every morning, I typically mix a few base ingredients, water, and almond milk in my Vitamix blender with 1-2 add-ins (usually chia seeds plus whatever I'm feeling) to make a 25-30 oz smoothie. This smoothie keeps me full until lunch because it has protein, fiber, fat, and I get my vitamins and minerals in early!
If you want to add one healthy habit to your life, replacing your breakfast with morning smoothies should definitely be it.
But you have to make sure at minimum, they include protein, fiber, healthy fat, and greens. All fruit smoothies are pure SUGAR -- meaning they will spike your blood sugar and leave you hungry quickly and craving soon after. If your smoothie contains protein, fiber, healthy fat and greens, it balance your blood sugar and keep you full for hours.
The below add-in list may look daunting, but it's only because I've built up a variety in my cupboard over the past year.
The easiest way to get started is to just blend the base ingredients (no add-ins) for a nutritious way to start your morning!
- A big handful of organic baby spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 cups of frozen organic blueberries
- Rich in antioxidants
- 1 T Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds
- Full of antioxidants; high in fiber and protein
- ~10 oz New Barn Organic Almond Milk (unsweetened)
- ~10 oz filtered water
- 2 scoops Equilibrium Nutrition Daily Nutritional Support (Vanilla)
- Daily vitamins/minerals/protein powder
- Nature Restore Organic Maca Powder
- Rich in vitamins C, A, B2, B6 and Niacin
- Rich in minerals, including iron, zinc, iodine, calcium
- Can help balance hormone levels and control the amount of estrogen in the body
- Improves energy, mood and memory
- NOW Foods Organic Hemp Seed Hearts (8 oz)
- Rich in omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids (good fats)
- Great source of protein
- Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Flaxseed (24 oz)
- Rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids (good fats) and fiber
- Artisana Coconut Butter
- Rich in lauric acid, which boosts immunity, boosts your metabolism, and is packed with healthy fats
- Adds a delicious coconut flavor!
- Organic bananas
- Bananas are high in sugar, so limit these if you're trying to lose weight.
- J+CO Tip: Cut super ripe banana into small chunks and freeze. Add a few pieces to your smoothies for a natural sweetener and in place of ice cubes.
- Navitas Organics Matcha Powder
- Full of antioxidants; boosts metabolism; adds a caffeine boost
- Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
- Raises ketones (fat-burning molecules in your body) to help fuel your brain and suppress hunger